1.31.2009

Lumpy Money Review

I got my copy of Lumpy Money earlier this week. Not a bad offering from the Evil Empire (aka the Zappa Family Trust).

The gems of this set are the orchestral Lumpy Money and "How did That Get in Here?", the extended piece which opens disc 3. I could do without Disc 2 however. It includes an unreleased mix of Lumpy Gravy from 1984 which includes the obligatory 80's drums and bass and the out of print but cheaply found remix of We're Only In It For the Money from the original Ryko issue of the CD. Maybe it will grow on me. The WOIIFTM does have better sound than the old disc so........we'll see. It's not horrible, it just isn't as good as the original. Also, included is a mono mix of WOIIFTM. I like it. Some people think mono sucks. I am not one of them.

The packaging is kind of cheap but unlike the Mofo Project set the package does not turn into a disc eater. I pray to Satan every time I try to remove a disc from the jaws of the Mofo set. Overall, I give the release a Pitchfork style rating of 8.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment