1.18.2009

Freedom with their exception

"Eye of the Beholder" by Metallica has been in my head today. To me, the lyrics of the song not only refer to how governments limit free speech but also how internet message boards often turn into a dictatorship with an army of sycophants guarding the gates. Generally boards deteriorate over time because of ego and cowardice. The argument for harsh speech regulations is that a board is private therefore free speech does not apply. O.K., I don't argue the legality of the issue but anyone with a little self-respect should be able to handle the opinion of others. Popular or otherwise. The only instances I ever interfere with speech is removing spam or deleting personal info that is posted without consent. Anything else is fair game unless I am directed by law to remove it.

A common version of the internet dictatorship is opening a board with a famous person as the draw. Too many boards ride the jock of a famous person to build a private cult of personality. These places should be smashed.

Do You Want What I Want?

Desire Not a Thing

I Hunger after Independence Lengthen Freedom's Ring


1 comment:

  1. sob, im downloading And Justice for All now. Like 10y i didnt listen this album. Tnx.

    ReplyDelete